Make any night special when you turn dairy-free butter, garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes, and white wine into this quick and easy shrimp scampi. I use frozen jumbo shrimp with the tails on, which defrost in ice water in 10 minutes. Because I love sweet peas, I tend to go overboard with them in the mix – how many you add to the plate is really up to you.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
1-1/2 pounds (24-30) large or jumbo SHRIMP, shelled & deveined
I use tail-on because it's pretty. 6 to 8 shrimp per person
3 tablespoons vegan BUTTER
2 tablespoons extra virgin OLIVE OIL
4-5 cloves GARLIC, minced (1 tablespoon)
1/2 teaspoon RED PEPPER FLAKES (more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon KOSHER SALT (more to taste)
1/2 cup WHITE COOKING WINE
1 tablesppon LEMON JUICE
Ground BLACK PEPPER to taste
Top with PARSLEY, chopped
10-12 Ounces of SWEET PEAS (1 bag frozen)
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over JASMINE RICE
- COOK rice or pasta according to package directions. This may take up to 20 minutes so start it before defrosting shrimp.
- PREPARE SHRIMP
- If using frozen shrimp, you can quickly DEFROST them by placing the amount of shrimp you want to cook in a colander. Place the colander in a large bowl and run it under cold water until water covers the shrimp. Let the shrimp sit in the cold water for about 10 minutes. PULL the shrimp out of the water and RINSE with fresh water. DRAIN and PAT DRY before adding to skillet.
- Shell on shrimp adds more flavor to the scampi but is messy to eat, I prefer to remove the shells prior to cooking. But I do leave the tails on. It’s a personal choice.
- DEVEIN shrimp before cooking if taking the shell off.
- COOK frozen sweet peas according to package directions (usually 5 minutes in the microwave)
- HEAT a skillet on high
- When hot, REDUCE heat to medium-high and ADD butter and olive oil until melted and foam has subsided
- ADD garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt and SAUTE until garlic starts to brown. Do not let the mixture burn.
- ADD shrimp to skillet
- STIR in the white wine and mix well. COAT shrimp well with the butter, oil, wine mixture
- Evenly spread shrimp in the skillet and INCREASE heat to high
- BOIL everything for 3 minutes
- FLIP the shrimp over and BOIL for another 1-2 minutes
- REMOVE from heat and ADD lemon juice and black pepper
- SERVE over rice with sweet peas and a sprinkle of parsley
- STORE in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days
Inspired by Simply Recipes Shrimp Scampi