A fast breakfast favorite around my house is French Toast. The great thing about my French Toast is that I use multigrain gluten-free bread which tends to be denser than traditional white or even whole wheat and is a weightier and more satisfying bite. Even the gluten-eaters in the family prefer it made this way.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 6 minutes
6 slices multi-grain gluten-free BREAD, I use
Canyon Bakehouse Ancient Grain
2 EGGS, beaten
2/3 cups MILK ALTERNATIVE, I use Unsweetened Cashaw Milk
1 teaspoon VANILLA EXTRACT
2 tablespoons COOKING OIL, for frying
1/2 teaspoon CINNAMON, ground
cut FRUIT, MAPLE SYRUP or HONEY
- In a shallow dish, BEAT the eggs well
- WHISK in the milk alternative, vanilla, and salt
- HEAT the oil in a large frying pan on medium-high heat
- Using a fork, DIP each slice of bread into the egg mixture, turning it over to make sure that each side is well coated. The longer the bread is in the egg mixture, the soggier it becomes, so don’t let it sit too long.
- FRY the coated bread slices in the frying pan for 2-3 minutes until golden brown then FLIP and fry the other side
- SPRINKLE cinnamon on each side of the bread while frying
- REMOVE the French Toast and keep warm in a 200 degree F oven until ready to serve
- SERVE with cut strawberries, blueberries or other fruit and top with honey or pure maple syrup.