Who can resist the all-time holiday favorite, Apple Pie? My gluten and dairy-free version is a hybrid between a pie and a crisp. I use a store-bought gluten-free graham style crust for the bottom (because crusts are not my best skill and I am all about uncomplicated cooking) and a home-made crumble for the top. Try a warm slice of sweet apple pie, all moist and sticky, with a scoop of dairy-free Vanilla Ice Cream. Now that is my definition of heaven.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 45-55 minutes
Servings: 1 pie (6 or 8 slices)
1 Gluten-Free PIE CRUST (I use MI-DEL allegen safe graham style)
3/4 cup All Purpose GLUTEN-FREE BAKING MIX (King Arthur Flour)*
3/4 cup LIGHT BROWN SUGAR, packed
1/4 cup granualated SUGAR
2 teaspoons ground CINNAMON
1/2 teaspoon ground NUTMEG
1/4 teaspoon Kosher SALT
1/2 cup (1 stick) Vegan BUTTER, chilled and cut into small pieces
5 or 6 large APPLES, peeled, cored and sliced thin
For crisp try HoneyCrisp or PinkLady or tart try Granny Smith
1/2 cup granualted SUGAR
If using tart apples, you may need more sugar
1 teaspoons ground CINNAMON
1/4 teaspoon ground NUTMEG
1/4 teaspoon ground GINGER
Pinch of SALT
*If using all purpose gluten-free flour instead of baking mix,
you will need to add 1/2 teaspoon of XANTHAN GUM.
- MAKE the TOPPING
- In a medium bowl, WHISK baking mix, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Make sure to get the lumps out of the brown sugar
- BLEND in chilled butter with a fork or pastry blender until you have a nice crumbly texture
- REFRIGERATE the bowl for 10 minutes until firm
- PREHEAT the oven to 375 degrees F
- MAKE the FILLING
- PEEL, CORE, and thinly SLICE apples
- In a large bowl, COMBINE apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and salt
- SET the bowl aside and let the juices combine while the topping is cooling
- ASSEMBLE the pie
- REMOVE the crumble from the refrigerator and BREAK UP any large clumps
- PLACE the pie on a baking sheet to catch any overflow spills
- DUMP the filling into the pie crust and MOUNT in the center. Make sure to pour all the juices in.
- SPOON the crumble topping evenly over everything and don’t be afraid to use it all. PAT DOWN the crumbles gently with a fork (I use my hand) to make sure that it sticks to the filling.
- BAKE in preheated oven for 45 minutes, until the juices are bubbling out the sides and the crumble is evenly golden brown.
- If using a regular pie crust, about 25 or 30 minutes into the bake, COVER the edges of the crust with foil to prevent burning. You don’t have to do this if you are using a graham style crust, as it doesn’t extend past the topping.
- Depending on your oven, you might need to ADD 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time.
- REMOVE the pie from the oven and let COOL completely for at least 1 hour before serving. Fruit pies continue to thicken as they cool, so you really want to allow it the time it needs to give you a perfect slice.
- STORE the pie covered at room temperature for several days or freeze.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- Warm the pie in the microwave
- Serve with your favorite dairy-free vanilla ice cream