I was trying to figure out what to do with a bunch of leftover egg yolks yesterday after making meringue. Somehow I created this insanely fluffy egg yolk chocolate chip monster that is more like cake than a cookie. Naming a recipe is not easy. My first thought for a name was “Chocolate Chip Egg Yolk Cloud Cake Cookie with a Touch of Orange,” but I settled on something shorter. I will let you be the judge of what to call yours.
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
1/2 cup Vegan BUTTER (1 Earth Balance Soy Free stick)
3/4 cup SUGAR
1/2 cup natural APPLE SAUCE
6 EGG YOLKS (or 4 egg yolks & 1 whole egg)
2-1/2 cups gluten-free ALL PURPOSE BAKING MIX (King Arthur)
1 teaspoon BAKING SODA
1 teaspoon VANILLA EXTRACT
1 teaspoon ORANGE EXTRACT (if you don't have it
add another teaspoon of vanilla extract)
1 pinch SALT
3/4 Vegan MINI SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS (Enjoy LIfe)
- PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F
- COVER 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper (or you can lightly grease them)
- CREAM the butter and sugar until fluffy
- ADD the applesauce to the creamed mixture and BLEND well
- SEPARATE egg whites from yolks. I use 3 bowls to do this: 1 bowl for the yolks, 1 bowl for the whites, and 1 bowl for the shells. After separating all 6 eggs, put the egg whites in the refrigerator (use them for something else, like my Dark Chocolate Meringue Cookies).
- BEAT the egg yolks and the extracts together
- ADD the beaten egg yolk/extract mixture to the creamed mixture and BLEND well
- In a separate bowl, WHISK together all the dry ingredients
- ADD the dry ingredients, a third at a time, to the creamed mixture and BLEND well.
- ADD the mini chips to the batter and BLEND
- DROP the batter onto the parchment covered baking sheets in evenly spaced slightly rounded teaspoons of goo (for bigger cookies use a tablespoon instead)
- Slightly FLATTEN the batter globs if you can, they won’t spread much
- BAKE for 10 to 12 minutes. They will look undercooked and should be only slightly golden.
- COOL on cookie sheets for a few minutes and then plate
- STORE them in an airtight container for up to 1 week