The secret to this well seasoned gluten-free tilapia dish is browning the panko mixture before you bread the fillets. Tilapia is an inexpensive farm-raised white fish that is easy to cook, low in fat, and a good source of protein. Don’t overlook its nutritional benefits. This recipe gives it flavor and pizzaz. Let me know how yours turns out.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1 cup gluten-free PANKO BREAD CRUMBS
3 tablespoons EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
4 TILAPIA FILLETs, about 6 ounces each
1/4 teaspoon ROASTED GARLIC POWDER
1/2 teaspoon GINGER, ground
1/2 teaspoon PAPRIKA
1/2 teaspoon crushed RED PEPPER FLAKES
KOSHER SALT, to taste
BLACK PEPPER, to taste
Serving suggestion: LEMON wedge
- PREHEAT oven to 425 degrees F
- PREPARE BREADING
- In a medium flat bottomed bowl (because you will be using it to bread the fillets), COMBINE panko crumbs, garlic powder, ginger, paprika, and red pepper flakes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. MIX well.
- SPREAD panko mixture on a baking sheet and BAKE for 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- RETURN to bowl
- SEASON fillets with salt and pepper, to your taste
- PRESS each fillet into the prepared panko mixture, coating both sides thoroughly. (And I mean really PRESS with your hands so it sticks well.)
- PLACE the fillets on the baking sheet that you used to brown the panko mixture.
- DRIZZLE the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over the fillets
- BAKE for 15 minutes
- SERVE warm, with a wedge of lemon
- STORE in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days
Inspired by Food and Wine’s Crispy Baked Tilapia