Here’s a savory vegan alternative to the usual sweet sweet potato side dish that you find at many holiday meals. This 30-minute mash is vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free and generally allergy free but it is well spiced and creamy, with coconut milk, vegan butter, nutmeg, cinnamon, and sage. Give it a try next time you are planning on serving potatoes.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
2 large SWEET POTATOES
4 tablespoons Vegan BUTTER, melted
1/2 cup COCONUT MILK, warmed
1/2 teaspoon CINNAMON
1/2 teaspoon SAGE
1/4 teaspoon NUTMEG
1/4 cup BROWN SUGAR
SALT and PEPPER to taste
Sprinkle of PARSLEY
- SCRUB, PEEL, and CUT potatoes into big even sized chunks. Chunks of similar size will cook at a more consistent rate.
- PLACE potatoes in a medium pot and cover with COLD water enough to cover potatoes by about 1 or 2 inches
- ADD a pinch of salt and bring to a BOIL
- When the water is boiling, REDUCE heat to a SIMMER for 15 minutes until potatoes are fork tender (soft)
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a medium saucepan on medium heat, MELT the butter
- ADD sage and saute
- WARM the coconut milk
- DRAIN the potatoes in a calendar and then RETURN to the still warm potato pot
- ADD the sage, butter, milk, spices and brown sugar mixture to the potato pot
- MASH gently. I like to leave my potatoes chunky. Don’t over mash or the potatoes can become pasty.
- ADD salt and pepper to taste