Breakfast is the most important meal in my opinion. You are just running on empty if you don’t fill the tank early in the day. I like to start my day with a savory gluten-free everything bagel, topped with a mashed ripe avocado and Nova Lox. A fresh gluten-free bagel is a rare treat but you can find lots of gluten-free varieties in the freezer section. I have been known to eat this sandwich at lunch and sometimes even dinner.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
1 gluten-free EVERYTHING* BAGEL, halved and toasted
1/2 ripe AVOCADO, mashed
SALT & PEPPER to taste
2 slices SMOKED SALMON (aka Nova Lox)**
1 slice of TOMATO
1 slice of ONION
*The traditional New York Everything Bagel contains:
Poppy Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Black Sesame Seeds,
Minced Dried Garlic, Minced Dried Onion, and Sea Salt
**There is a difference between lox and smoked salmon.
Lox is salt-cured and not smoked. Must people really want
smoked salmon, which is cured and smoked. Nova Lox, which
originally came from the waters of Nova Scotia, is a type of
cold-smoked salmon that is preferred to salty 'belly' lox.
- SLICE the bagel in half and TOAST
- SLICE the avocado in half lengthwise, twist it, and remove the pit
- MASH 1/2 the avocado and ADD salt and pepper to taste
- SPREAD each half of the bagel with avocado
- TOP each halve with a slice or 2 of smoked salmon
- Optionally, top with tomato or onion slices