Being dairy-free, I love when Passover comes around because the desserts are among my favorites. I created this gluten-free vegan Matzo Bark as an alternative to all the cakes and macaroons that I make this time of year. If you want to make it Kosher for Passover, then make sure to get Shmurah matzo. You can top this with any type of nut or even cherries or cranberries. Let me know what you think.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
5-6 gluten-free SALTED MATZO-Style boards
If making for Passover use Shmurah matzo
1 cup DARK BROWN SUGAR, packed
1 stick VEGAN BUTTER (Soy-free Earth Balance)
2 cups VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIPS (Enjoy Life)
1/2 teaspoon pure VANILLA
Pinch of SEA SALT
1/2 cup SALTED PEANUTS, smashed/finely chopped
1/2 cup ROASTED ALMONDS, chopped
Non-stick COOKING SPRAY
- PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F
- LINE rimmed baking dish with parchment and SPRAY with non-stick spray
- COVER the bottom of the baking dish with a single layer of matzo. Break the pieces if you need to make them fit.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, COMBINE sugar and butter, STIR frequently until it bubbles and boils. Be careful not to burn the syrup. BOIL for 1-minute stirring constantly.
- ADD a big pinch of salt and the vanilla to the syrup
- POUR the syrup over the matzo and SPREAD evenly with a heat-proof spatula
- BAKE 7-10 minutes until toffee syrup is bubbling. Make sure to check frequently so that it does not burn.
- REMOVE from the oven and immediately SPRINKLE the chocolate chips over the toffee and let it MELT for 1-3 minute from the heat of the syrup
- SPREAD the melted chocolate chips evenly with a heat-proof spatula
- SPRINKLE the nuts over the chocolate and PRESS gently so that they stick well
- REFRIGERATE the sheet for 30 minutes to 1 hour until hard
- BREAK the matzo boards into pieces and store in an air-tight container until ready to serve
- STORE in the refrigerator for up to 5 days