Sometimes, I just crave a breakfast muffin. I like to heat them for 30 seconds in the microwave and then slather Vegan cream cheese on top. I tend to throw the kitchen sink of spices into these muffins so that the flavors of winter just explode in every bite. Adjust the spices and add-ins to match your mood.
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
1-2/3 cup All Purpose GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR
1/2 teaspoon CINNAMON
1/2 teaspoon CLOVES
1/2 teaspoon NUTMEG
1/2 teaspoon GINGER
1/4 teaspoon BAKING POWDER
1 teaspoon BAKING SODA
1/2 teaspoon SALT
3/4 cup HONEY
2 EGGS (or Vegan egg replacer)
1/2 cup melted Vegan BUTTER (I use Earth Balance)*
1 15-ounce can of PUMPKIN PUREE (not Pumpkin Pie Mix)
1/4 cup cold WATER
1/4 cup dried CRANSBERRIES or RAISANS
1/4 cup chopped WALNUTS
1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate morsels (optional)
18 Paper Muffin LINERS
*If you are watching your fat, you can replace butter with APPLESAUCE.
- PREHEAT oven to 325 degrees F.
- LINE 2 12-cup muffin tins to handle about 18 muffin cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, MIX all dry ingredients together well.
- In the same bowl, ADD all the rest of the ingredients and just throw it on top of the dry ingredients. STIR to combine. (I use a wooden spoon but I guess you could use an electric mixer.)
- SPOON the batter into the lined muffin cups until each is about 3/4 filled.
- BAKE for 40-45 minutes. (About 1/2 the time if you are making mini muffins).
- TEST for doneness by inserting a toothpick (or another tester) into the center of a muffin. If it comes out with only a few moist crumbs on it, then they’re done.
- COOL for 10 minutes before removing them from the tins. If the muffins are stuck to the tin you can run a knife around them to loosen.
Storage: You can store the muffins at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze them for 3 months.