I really enjoy the mix of sweet and sour flavors and this easy 30-minute veggie stir-fry highlights the flavor combination well. As you know if you have tried some of my other stir-fry tofu recipes, use extra firm cubes, dry them well, roll them in cornstarch and fry them in the wok for that perfect texture.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Sweet & Sour Sauce
1 can (8 ounces) CRUSHED PINEAPPLE in 100% juice
(drain and retain juice)
1/2 cup packed BROWN SUGAR
1 tablespoon CORNSTARCH
1/2 teaspoon SALT
1/2 cup WATER
6 tablespoons APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
1 tablespoon cooking OIL
1 14-ounce block of extra firm TOFU, pre-cubed
1 10-ounce bag of mixed ASIAN Vegetables
2 tablespoons CORNSTARCH
Pinch of SALT
BASMATI RICE, per serving
Optional Toppings: toasted sesame seeds, seaweed, or green onions
- PREPARE RICE according to package directions
- PREPARE SAUCE
- OPEN pineapple can and PRESS out the juice into a separate cup. SET aside
- In a medium saucepan, MIX brown sugar and cornstarch
- ADD water and the separated pineapple juice. STIR
- STIR in the vinegar
- BOIL over medium-high heat STIR continuously for 1 minute
- ADD crushed pineapple and continuing stirring until thick
- PREPARE TOFU
- If using prepackaged extra firm cubes, DRAIN water from the package. PAT dry with a paper towel. SPRINKLE with a pinch of salt.
- If using a block of extra firm tofu, DRAIN water from the package. Line a plate or baking sheet with paper towels. Place tofu on top of the paper towels and then cover with another layer of paper towels. PRESS gently to remove extra moisture. CUT tofu into 1-inch cubes. SPRINKLE with salt.
- In a large bowl, PLACE 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
- ADD dried tofu cubes to cornstarch and roll them around until they are evenly coated.
- HEAT 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok (or large skillet) over medium heat. Roll oil around to make sure to coat bottom and sides.
- ADD coated tofu to wok and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown on one side. Do not stir for the first 2 minutes so that it can set.
- With a spatula, TURN and brown the tofu on the other side for another 2 to 3 minutes until it’s totally golden. STIR occasionally.
- TRANSFER the tofu to a plate lined with a paper towel and set aside.
- PREPARE VEGGIES
- COOK frozen vegetables in the WOK according to directions on the package (usually steam for 6 or 7 minutes)
- COMBINE ALL INGREDIENTS
- Return the wok to high HEAT
- ADD tofu to the veggies in the wok
- ADD sauce and using a large spatula TURN to coat everything evenly. Season to taste.
- SERVE over rice. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, seaweed, or green onions.
- STORE in an airtight container for 2-3 days.