I was yearning for a gluten-free chicken pot pie that had more stuff in it than just 4 cubes of chicken and a few peas and carrots, and especially with a crust that wasn’t just placed on top and fell right off. I realized that I had to make my own from scratch since nothing like that was available commercially. WOW! was I surprised at how yummy it came out. Not only is the crust flaky but the filling is full of white meat chicken, carrots, peas, onion, and gravy that is flavorful and filling. You can shorten the preparation time by using a store-bought gluten-free crust if you can find one.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes (20 Crust, 20 Filling)
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cooling Time: 15 minutes (the more time the better)
Servings: 12 slices
CRUST (makes 2-10" crusts for top and bottom) 3 cups GLUTEN-FREE ALL-PURPOSE BAKING FLOUR with Xanthan gum included 1/2 teaspoon SALT (or more to taste) 1 cup (2 sticks) VEGAN BUTTER (I use EARTH BALANCE) - cold 1/2 cup DAIRY-FREE MILK ALTERNATIVE (I use CASHEW MILK) - cold FILLING 2 fresh skinless, boneless CHICKEN BREASTS - cubed (omit chicken and substitute spinach to make it vegetarian) 1 can SLICED CARROTS (or 1 cup fresh or frozen) 1 can GREEN PEAS (or 1 cup fresh or frozen) 1/3 cup VEGAN BUTTER 1/3 cup YELLOW ONION, chopped 1/3 cup GLUTEN-FREE ALL-PURPOSE BAKING FLOUR 1/2 teaspoon SALT 1/4 teaspoon BLACK PEPPER 1/2 teaspoon GARLIC POWDER 1/2 teaspoon DRIED THYME 4 cups (32 oz) CHICKEN BROTH/STOCK (or use Vegan Stock) 2/3 cup DAIRY-FREE MILK ALTERNATIVE (Cashew)
- PRE-HEAT oven to 425 degrees F
- SPRAY PIE PAN with non-stick spray or shorting
- CRUST INSTRUCTIONS
- In a medium bowl, COMBINE Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour with Xanthan gum and salt together
- CUT cold vegan butter into the flour mixture (I use a knife and fork because I don’t have a pastry knife). The butter should be about the size of peas.
- ADD dairy-free milk, a little at a time, to moisten the mixture.
- Using your hands WORK the milk into the flour until a good dough is formed. Add more milk if needed.
- SEPARATE dough into 2 balls
- ROLL 1 ball between 2 pieces of lightly dusted wax paper with a rolling pin (or on a gluten-free floured dough board) until you have a circle at least 10′ in diameter (match your pie pan size).
- Remove the top piece of wax paper and FLIP the dough into the bottom of the pie pan. Remove the bottom piece of wax paper and gently press the dough into the bottom of the pan making sure to close any cracks in the dough by gently rubbing with your fingers.
- TRIM edges if needed
- ROLL 2d ball between 2 pieces of wax paper like you did the 1st one
- Set 2d crust aside until you are ready for it
- FILLING INSTRUCTIONS
- In a medium saucepan, COMBINE chicken, carrots, and peas. ADD 4 cups of broth/stock to cover and BOIL for 15 minutes. REMOVE from heat, DRAIN but SAVE stock to be used later, and set aside
- In a medium saucepan (the same or new) over medium heat, MELT butter and COOK onions until soft and translucent.
- STIR in flour, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic powder.
- SLOWLY STIR in 1-3/4 cup of saved stock and dairy-free milk.
- SIMMER over medium-low heat until thick. STIR frequently.
- REMOVE from heat and set aside.
- PIE CONSTRUCTION INSTRUCTIONS
- PLACE the CHICKEN MIXTURE in the bottom pie crust, filling about 1/2 way
- POUR GRAVY MIXTURE over top of chicken mixture, filling about 3/4 way
- COVER the pie with the 2d crust and SEAL the edges using a fork around the whole rim, trimming any excess that hangs over the sides.
- PRICK the top of the crust with a fork in many places, or cut a few slits, to let the steam escape.
- BAKE on a BAKING SHEET on BOTTOM RACK for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- COOL for at least 15 minutes to allow the filling to set
- STORE in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Inspired by a bunch of good recipes: https://www.glutenfreepalate.com/ and https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26317/chicken-pot-pie-ix/
Let me know if you made it and what you think.
Thanks for visiting Lorians Kitchen