Because my spouse does not like pies, but really likes the crumble and the gooey stuff inside my apple pie, I came up with this sweet and scrumptious apple crisp. If the inners and the top are your things, then this crisp, with a dollop of vegan vanilla ice cream is the perfect end to your Thanksgiving meal.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-35 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
TOPPING 1/2 cup GLUTEN-FREE ALL PURPOSE FLOUR (I use King Arthur) (I use all purpose flours with Xanthan Gum already in the mix. If you don't then you will need to add it. When adding xanthan (zan-than) gum to a recipe, use about 1/4 teaspoon per cup of flour. Blend it evenly into your dry ingredients before mixing.) 1/2 cup GLUTEN-FREE ROLLED OATS 1/2 cup LIGHT BROWN SUGAR - PACKED (For a sugar-free recipe use coconut sugar instead) 1/2 tsp BAKING POWDER 1/4 tsp GROUND CINNAMON 1/8 tsp SALT 5 Tbsp VEGAN BUTTER - softened and chopped up FILLING 4 GRANNY SMITH APPLES (5 cups)- peeled & chopped into small cubes 3 Tbsp VEGAN BUTTER - melted 2 Tbsp GLUTEN-FREE ALL PURPOSE FLOUR (with Xanthan Gum) 1 Tbsp LEMON JUICE 3 Tbsp CASHEW MILK (or any nut-milk) 1 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT 1/4 cup LIGHT BROWN SUGAR - packed 1/2 tsp GROUND CINNAMON 1/2 tsp GROUND NUTMEG 1/8 tsp SALT
- PRE-HEAT oven to 375 degrees F
- COAT 8X8 baking dish with cooking spray
- In a medium bowl, COMBINE all the topping ingredients and mix until it forms small crumbles. If you have a pastry blade that might help.
- REFRIGERATE the topping until later
- In a large bowl, ADD the chopped apples
- ADD the butter, flour, lemon juice, milk, vanilla, brown sugar, and spices and stir until completely combined
- TRANSFER the apple mixture into the greased baking dish and spread evenly
- SPRINKLE topping evenly over apples and pat down so that it covers nicely
- BAKE for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- COOL in the pans for 5-10 minutes before serving
- STORE in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This crisp freezes well for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in over on 350 for 20 minutes.
Adapted from http://www.mamaknowsglutenfree.com