I love the smell of cinnamon in the kitchen. I wanted to make a quick and easy recipe for a breakfast muffin to go with coffee. And, I wanted it to give me that cinnamon filling and crumbly top of a coffee cake. I like the ease of muffins in the morning (or really any time). This recipe can be made vegan, if you use an egg replacer.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
FILLING 1 cup LIGHT BROWN SUGAR - PACKED (For a sugar-free recipe use coconut sugar instead) 1 Tbsp GROUND CINNAMON TOPPING 1 cup LIGHT BROWN SUGAR - PACKED (For a sugar-free recipe use coconut sugar instead) 1 cup GLUTEN-FREE ALL PURPOSE FLOUR (with Xanthan Gum) - I used Bob's Red Mill 1-1 1 Tbsp GROUND CINNAMON 1/2 cup VEGAN BUTTER - softened and chopped up MUFFIN BATTER 3 cups GLUTEN-FREE ALL PURPOSE FLOUR (with Xanthan Gum) 2 tsp BAKING POWDER 1/4 cup LIGHT BROWN SUGAR - PACKED (For a sugar-free recipe use coconut sugar instead) 3/4 cup GRANULATED SUGAR (For a sugar-free recipe use coconut sugar instead) 1 tsp GROUND CINNAMON 1/2 tsp SALT 1 cup VEGAN BUTTER - melted 1 tsp VANILLA EXTRACT 3 EGGS, at room temperature (To make VEGAN - use egg replacer like FLAX eggs) 3/4 cup unsweetened NON-DAIRY MILK (I used Cashew Milk)
- PRE-HEAT oven to 350 degrees F
- Prepare 24 standard muffin tins with paper liners
- FILLING: In a small bowl, WHISK all the filling ingredients until there are no brown sugar lumps. Set aside.
- TOPPING: In a medium bowl, COMBINE all the topping ingredients and mix until it forms small crumbles. If you have a pastry blade that might help.
- REFRIGERATE the topping until later
- BATTER: In a large bowl, MIX together the flour, baking powder, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- ADD the melted butter and vanilla, and using a hand mixer on low, completely combined with the dry ingredients.
- BEAT in the eggs and mix until smooth.
- POUR the milk in, about a 1/4 cup at a time, and BEAT until smooth. Set aside.
- ASSEMBLE: FILL muffin cups about 1/4 full with batter.
- SPRINKLE the filling on top of the batter in each muffin cup; cover from side to side.
- FILL muffin cups with the rest of the batter (about 1/2 full – do not overfill)
- SPRINKLE topping evenly over muffins in each cup and pat down so that it covers nicely
- BAKE: 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the muffins
- COOL in the pans for 10 minutes before serving or moving muffins to a cooling rack
- STORE in an air-tight container for a few days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and heat in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. These muffins are awesome when warm – I have been spreading vegan cream cheese on top.